|Structural Type:||[ ]|
|Functional Type:||[ ]|
- Human milk metabolite.
- Betaine is naturally present in the diet and can also be metabolized from choline.
Shared Reference Notes
- Infants fed with breast milk rich in betaine showed reduced growth rates after birth.
- Experiments in mice showed that giving betaine to female mice improved blood sugar metabolism and lowered fat tissue in breastfeeding offspring.
- When breast-fed with milk rich in betaine, both mouse pups and human infants had higher amounts of Akkermansia bacteria in their guts.
- Low levels of maternal betaine during pregnancy are linked to increased infant weight at birth.
- Maternal betaine supplementation resulted in lower fetal weight in a mouse study.