|Structural Type:||[ ]|
|Functional Type:||[ ]|
- Human milk metabolite.
- Betaine is naturally present in the diet and can also be metabolized from choline.
Shared Reference Notes
- [1.1] [#Obesity] [#Human breast milk]
- Infants fed with breast milk rich in betaine showed reduced growth rates after birth. - Experiments in mice showed that giving betaine to female mice improved blood sugar metabolism and lowered fat tissue in breastfeeding offspring. - When breast-fed with milk rich in betaine, both mouse pups and human infants had higher amounts of #Akkermansia bacteria in their guts. - Low levels of maternal betaine during pregnancy are linked to increased infant weight at birth. - Maternal betaine supplementation resulted in lower fetal weight in a mouse study.
- [1.2] [#Chronic fatigue syndrome] [#Anaerotruncus colihominis]
- Decreased betaine was associated with decreased A. colihominis.
- the ratio of two particular plant-associated metabolites to betaine, an osmoregulatory compound downstream of #Choline, was significantly higher in normal cognition than #Mild Cognitive Impairment